MATERIALS: WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU?
Everything is made of something; every design object, product, and item that surround us boils down to raw materials. With all the new and exciting materials developed and introduced in recent years, how is the savvy consumer to know which material best suits their needs? Read on for an informative look into the different materials used at AnnJoy Imports and discover the unique properties of each material.
- rPET (recycled polyethylene terephthalate) comes from plastic that has already been used for packaging, such as plastic bottles. This plastic is sorted, cleaned and transformed so that it can be repurposed into more bottles or bags. We use rPET because it is 100% recycled and recyclable, it has high-quality printing capabilities, it is waterproof, and it uses 75% less energy than virgin plastic.
- Non-Woven PP (polypropylene) is made by taking polypropylene polymers and spinning them using heat and air into long fluffy threads then pressing the threads together between hot rollers to get a flexible but solid fabric with a weave-like texture similar to canvas. We use NWPP because it has a low environmental impact with high-quality printing capabilities.
- Hemp fabric is made from the fibres in the herbaceous plant and is a high-yield crop that produces significantly more fibre per acre than either cotton or flax, making it an environmentally friendly choice with a myriad of uses. We use hemp because it requires fewer chemicals than wood when pulped and its natural brightness negates the use of chlorine bleach.
- Paper is a thin material produced by pressing together moist fibres of cellulose pulp derived from wood, rags or grasses, and drying them into flexible sheets. We use paper because it is versatile, recyclable, and renewable.
- Cotton is a renewable fabric that is found naturally and can be used repeatedly in a variety of applications. It is extremely versatile and can be made into a variety of gauges, weaves, and sizes. We use cotton because it has an excellent consumer perception, it is durable, and it has high-printing capabilities.
Hopefully this article provided helpful clarification on the material options available to you at AnnJoy Imports. Ready to get started? Give us a call today!